Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Announcing Glen Campbell's Newest DVD/CD Releases

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Dee

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by Dee »

Hi, arlw, thanks so much for the information you posted about the new (reissued) "California Special" Jan & Dean album. It was a huge help!

You were right on about the keyword being "friends".
After some research, I learned that in 1979 a tribute concert, "California Special", was held in Jan & Dean's honor at the Coconut Grove in LA, California. Glen was asked to host this event (which confirms all the more, I believe, that he was a valued friend of this duo).

It turns out that the intro on the California Special album was taken from this tribute event. I found a video (posted below) with the full intro by Glen. Casey Kasem is heard introducing the show.

Amazing, isn't it?! According to one of the YT posters, "horarwgt", the clip of Jan & Dean shown on-stage is actually from 1963, not 1960, as Glen said in his introduction. The poster explains that "Surf City" wasn't written until 1963. I haven't followed Jan and Dean, so I don't know if this comment is true.

I wonder if this complete concert is available on DVD now?

Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Arlw! I didn't know it had been released on CD before. I wonder when this was originally taped?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
arlw

Post by arlw »

Dee,
I do not have this CD but can give you a few tips! I remember when this came out!

That "Jan & Dean's California Special" CD came out a few years ago-Original Release Date: January 1, 2009-they re-released this-my guess--re mastered it once again for this Release Date: September 13, 2015.
The spoken segment by Glen as one of the tracks was just that--have to remember that Glen did session work with Jan and Dean and was on so many recordings w/them. I am sure he is on most of those tracks on the CD. The spoken segment is Glen talking about the times he was with Jan and Dean. Surf City and other records Glen Campbell was on...
Ar

Jan & Dean with Friends & Jan & Dean -----This is the Key word on this CD----

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Who knows more about this album? Arlw perhaps? It's called "Jan & Dean's California Special" and has a spoken segment by Glen as one of the tracks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014 ... s_sp_ps_dp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On a different note, who in heaven's name is releasing Glen's Big Bluegrass Special album just about every week with a different front cover? Here are a few of the latest addition. These titles are outrageous too. Leopard Lady?

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Great, New Snow on the Roof, such a nice little song Glen's former bass player Billy Graham, is being released on CD. And those two tracks from 1990, which were still on my wanted list, are included too. A bit out of place perhaps but then again, they WERE released by Capitol Nashville on Christmas for the 90s vol. 1 and 2.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Cowpoke, I am surprised that RS is announcing this CD as "rare".
Anyway, the three tracks provided by RS sound great! Maybe the tracks have been remastered?
I guess we will find out!
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Rolling Stone magazine about the new (actually not so new... :-)) live album.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20150831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hi, Cowpoke,

You guessed right on the British Live Performance Series (BLPS) CD release -- it is the Dome in Doncaster concert.

Here's a good bit of news: the article linked below indicates that as part of the BLPS series, DVDs "of most shows will become available as well". Hopefully, the DVD will be formatted for all regions!

RAINMAN RECORDS Launches 'British Live Performance Series' with Glen Campbell & Rick Wakeman
August 28, 2015

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmusic/ ... n-20150828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, arlw!

Below is Denny Tedesco's press photo of this remarkable set!
I am very curious to hear "Wichita Lineman" as sung (and played) by Glen Campbell! Will it be the original version released on Capitol Records?

(BTW--a November release of the documentary's soundtrack on vinyl is in the works--tbc.)

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
The Wrecking Crew_4 CD Set_August 2015.jpg
The Wrecking Crew_4 CD Set_August 2015.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 6262 times

arlw

Post by arlw »

I just stumbled across this 4 CD SET!!! Take a Look: This has 4 Fabulous CD's--now you know what "Glen and the entire Wrecking Crew" did record wise/career wise!! Unreal CD set!

http://www.ccmusic.com/wrecking-crew/089353330828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;