Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Re: Can You Identify These Guitars?

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
LongTimeGlenFan

Post by LongTimeGlenFan »

Nice detective work Jay and thank you for the reply. I suspected Arens did the finish on the guitar after looking at some of his artwork. I agree about the other cool guitars in the video. I love all of the "nods" to Glen's earlier work in this song and video. Cheers

jay

Post by jay »

LongTimeGlenFan...

First of all, thanks for joining the forums!

Secondly, to answer your question...that video is filled with a couple really cool guitars.
The one you speak of is a Waterstone knockoff of a Gibson 335 style. That specific guitar was a Carnaby 6 string - finish designed by Kii Arens, who directed that video. Waterstone is a Nashville based company...and I am sure that the guitar was given to someone or Arens took it home after shooting. It is not a guitar that Glen would keep, I am guessing.

Another cool guitar in that video is Glen playing a vintage Monkeys Gretsch guitar with Micky Dolenz' signature on the pickguard. We discussed it here:

The Gretsch White Falcon, with Glens name is also a very nice touch, which was also touched on, in the same thread. Very cool video, in many ways.

LongTimeGlenFan

Post by LongTimeGlenFan »

I imagine Glen had a lot of guitars in his hands for photo ops that he never actually played. Case in point the guitar in this photo which was used in the Ghost on the Canvas video. 335 Body but not a Gibson headstock. Anyone know who made it? I have tried to zoom in on the headstock in the video but I just cant read it! Cheers!
Attachments
GlenCampbell_SeeYouThere_PressShot_Sm(2).jpg
GlenCampbell_SeeYouThere_PressShot_Sm(2).jpg (171.44 KiB) Viewed 9807 times

jay

Post by jay »

Pretty sure that is a PRS (Paul Reed Smith). Headstock and birds are solid indicators. They have a line, but do a lot of custom work also. Top notch guitars.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Never saw Glen with this guitar before. But then again, maybe he borrowed it from someone?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Yep, that was me. Thanks for solving that one!

jay

Post by jay »

I thought someone had posted a question about THIS GUITAR

The broken"f" hole is a good indicator that it is anOscar Schmidt...older model. At one point in time I thought it was a Harmony...but fret markers and the f hole really match up well to the Oscar Schmidt.

jay

Post by jay »

Yes, Mosrite was not known for their acoustics and Semie was a poor acoustic craftsman, but Glen actually played a couple of them.

Jim Blackwood

Post by Jim Blackwood »

jay wrote:Headstock says it is a Mosrite 335 knockoff. It has a thinner body and bigger pickguard than the one in the BW picture. Depending on when this photo was taken, it might be a Gibson body, with one of Semie's necks on it. He was known to do that when he first got started.
Mosrite.The guitar the Ventures made famous. I didnt know they ever made an acoustic.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I think you got it Jay. When you look at a hi res version of that front cover picture, it says Gibson on that guitar.

http://resources.wimpmusic.com/images/d ... 0x1280.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think his mastery of this instrument brought him a lot of studio work.

Thanks!