Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen on the Cher Show from 1975?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
nostalgiackh

Re: Glen on the Cher Show from 1975?

Post by nostalgiackh »

Any update guys?

nostalgiackh

Post by nostalgiackh »

Dee wrote:Thanks for checking, Cowpoke.

I asked a Glen friend who probably has the largest collection of Glen Campbell videos around and he doesn't have it either. In fact, as a GC fan, he has been searching for the same 12/14/75 (1/4/76) episode for years!
BTW, he has quite a few programs including a 60-minute "Cher" rarity with David Bowie from 1975, but most of his episodes are the 30-minute versions that were later rebroadcasted on VH-1. He also doesn't have the Christmas episode from Dec. '75.

It does seem very strange that although the Cher/Campbell episode was aired twice, it is a rare show to find!

Have you posted on all of the Cher facebook groups? I will post your quest on a private Glen Campbell facebook group that I help to admin. Some of the long-time members may be of help.

Let's stay on this search. It has got to be out there!

Dee
I also have the Cher episode with David Bowie ;) It's a must-see for Bowie fans! I hate the VH1 reruns. It just bothers me knowing how much footage was edited out of the VH1 versions of the episodes. I'm glad I brought this Cher episode to everybody's attention on these forums. Another rare Glen appearance to add to your lists! :P

I've posted to many Cher groups and they don't help at all. I've got high hopes for the Glen fans on here and on the private Facebook group you mentioned! I have a strong feeling that somebody in the Glen community would have this footage. *fingers crossed*

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks for checking, Cowpoke.

I asked a Glen friend who probably has the largest collection of Glen Campbell videos around and he doesn't have it either. In fact, as a GC fan, he has been searching for the same 12/14/75 (1/4/76) episode for years!
BTW, he has quite a few programs including a 60-minute "Cher" rarity with David Bowie from 1975, but most of his episodes are the 30-minute versions that were later rebroadcasted on VH-1. He also doesn't have the Christmas episode from Dec. '75.

It does seem very strange that although the Cher/Campbell episode was aired twice, it is a rare show to find!

Have you posted on all of the Cher facebook groups? I will post your quest on a private Glen Campbell facebook group that I help to admin. Some of the long-time members may be of help.

Let's stay on this search. It has got to be out there!

Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I looked through what I have but I have not been able to find the Cher show... :( I hope someone comes up saying "I have it!" but it does seem to be a pretty rare episode.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
nostalgiackh

Post by nostalgiackh »

Dee wrote:Fingers crossed, Cowpoke.

Questions for nostalgiackh:

Was the episode you are seeking rebroadcasted on January 4, 1976?

Are any of these CHER shows on sites such as hulu and Netflix?

Thanks!
Dee
Yes it reran once on January 4, 1976. Unfortunately the Cher episodes are not on any websites like Hulu or Netflix.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Fingers crossed, Cowpoke.

Questions for nostalgiackh:

Was the episode you are seeking rebroadcasted on January 4, 1976?

Are any of these CHER shows on sites such as hulu and Netflix?

Thanks!
Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I don't have that complete episode but I can't shake the thought that I have seen Glen doing "Country Boy" on that show. Now the question is of course, where did I see that? I will check my "archives" (a box full of DVDs :). Thanks for your question and the trivia!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
nostalgiackh

Post by nostalgiackh »

It seems that the photo would be from the #3 segment from the episode summary I included in my original post. That's the only time Glen and Cher sing together in this episode. I'm sure Glen fans would love it as much as Cher fans, like myself, would love it.

P.S. - A neat little bit of trivia: At the time of his appearance on her show he was embroiled in a messy divorce. I'm sure he wasn't too happy at this time in his life but I imagine he wouldn't have shown it and knew the show must go on!

I've obtained other episodes from her show so I'm sure SOMEBODY would have to have it. It's just a matter of if or when the right person sees this post and is able to help me with my search. So far that photo, a dress Cher wore during the "Trashy Ladies" segment auctioned off years ago and another photo of Ruth Buzzi as "Gladys Ormphby" and Cher as her "Laverne" character are the only things I've seen from that episode. This episode along with the next episode, which happens to be the Christmas show/series finale, seem to be the most elusive.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Welcome aboard, nostalgiackh!
Wow...I think we would all love to see this 12/14/75 episode of the "Cher" show and of course help you to locate it. We don't sell or trade copyrighted content here but certainly members can help others to find the "holy grails" they are seeking.

I found a press photo for the episode you are searching for. I wonder which song Cher and Glen were singing together here? We just have to find this show for you!

[Click on image once to enlarge viewing window.]
Glen Campbell_Cher_12.14.1975_GCF.jpg
Glen Campbell_Cher_12.14.1975_GCF.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 5181 times

nostalgiackh

Glen on the Cher Show from 1975?

Post by nostalgiackh »

I've been searching for "Cher" episodes for 7 years now and I thought I'd check here in case any Glen fans might have gotten their hands on the episode that he was the special guest star on. This originally aired on 12/14/75 on CBS and Ruth Buzzi and Hal Linden were the other guest stars. Here's a summary of the episode:

1. Cher opens the show with a medley of "Georgia On My Mind" and "Sweet Georgia Brown", followed by a monologue in which she reminisces with Ruth about one of her early concert appearances.
2. "Trashy Ladies" -- Cher is featured in a series of comedy sketches based on Mae West and Scarlett O'Hara of "Gone With the Wind."
3. Cher and Glen perform a medley of Glen's greatest hits, including: "By the Time I Get To Phoenix", "Wichita Lineman", "Galveston" and "Gentle On My Mind."
4. Ruth recreates her role as a drunk searching trash cans for a discarded can of beer.
5. A man is accused of stealing sugar in a comedy blackout.
6. The entire cast plays the Flying Garbanzos, a zany group of trapeze artists.
7. "Life With Laverne" -- The ever-popular Laverne (Cher) tries to arrange a blind date for her frumpy friend, Gladys Ormphby (Ruth).
8. Glen sings "Country Boy (You Got Your Feet In L.A.)"
9. The entire cast takes part in a wacky television show that combines music, melodrama and comedy.
10. Cher closes the show with a video clip showing one of the bloopers she made during that week's taping.

If anybody has this episode in their collection I'd be interested in a copy of it. I'm willing to pay $100 for the full episode!