Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Studio Sessions

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 07:09 pm:

I have a question about the song and a 45 rpm called "LIES" by The Knickerbockers. I have this one listed below which is a 45 as well but, from a different group and it's in my Glen Campbell collection.

I looked up the LP/CD and one of the tracks from the LP called LIES is this, On the LP-"Can't you see I'm Tryin'" was written by Glen Campbell.

This one below is the one I have:

I ALSO have the original 45 LIES --on the Challenge Label. Should that be counted even though Glen is not mentioned on the original release?

This one below is from my collection!

FORTE FOUR 45, DECCA 31979, Gary Usher Item – This is a Canada Pressing from 1966, Side 1 “Can’t You See I’m Trying.” Written by “Glen Campbell” and “Jerry Fuller.” Side 2. “Don’t Let The Sun Shine On Me”-Written by Annette Tucker-Keith Colley. Great rocking vocals produced by Gary Usher. The 45 appears to be in almost mint condition. The label is black on the DECCA label-Broadcast under license only – compo co. Ltd. Canada. (L14,016) / (L14-015). Glen Campbell’s name is acknowledged on this 45 and is listed under the group “FORTE’ FOUR.” This is a very rare 45 and in great shape for 37 years ago.

I would love to add the Challenge Label LIES but only if Glen is on here and when I looked it up, Glen was given credit for playing studio session work!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 12:22 pm:

Well, I had hoped Andy would have been forthcoming (or, at least have provided a brief mention of the back story) about how he came to know Glen since their paths crossed many times over their professional years (and on golf courses) and most significantly at Branson when they had their own theatres and also performed together.

BTW, Andy mentions Glen’s name very briefly a few times in his memoir, at one point comparing himself to Glen…that Glen never had to prepare for a performance--he could just walk off the golf course, go on stage, and perform (whereas Andy had to first go through the same set of preparatory rituals prior to each of his performances).

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 08:04 am:

Thank you Dee for that info! So appreciated.

-Janice Murray

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 11:04 pm:

A follow-up to my previous posting about obtaining Andy Williams' autobiography, Moon River and Me: I've skimmed this book and found no reference to Glen (or any one else!) as a session player on Andy's recordings. To read Andy's book, you would think he cut these recordings all by himself.

However, he wrote extensively about his relationship (personal and professional) with Kay Thompson who was 19 years older than him and his subsequent relationships particularly with Claudine.

Andy name dropped throughout the book...especially with regard to knowing Sinatra, Elvis, the Kennedys (especially Bobby and the after math of his assassination), Bob Hope, and other celebs. (Interesting...Andy and Johnny Carson were not on speaking terms after Andy appeared only once on Johnny's talk show. Andy felt that this estrangement was because he got more laughs than Johnny during a comedy sketch that they did together on that one show.)

Even so, Andy did provide some interesting insights to the music business and wrote that his Branson theatre was his pride and joy. Oddly, Andy never mentioned performing with Glen in Branson, which I think is a major oversight. (But, then, I would think this, wouldn't I?)

The bottom line is that no session players were acknowledged in this book.

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 04:03 pm:

Cowpoke,
Have this CD with Andy Williams and Glen did some studio work on here.

ANDY WILLIAMS – 25 ALL – TIME GREATEST HITS 1956-1961: THE CADENCE YEARS. The release date of this CD is April 9, 2002. The label is VARESE RECORDS/VARESE SARABANDE. # 302-066-303-2. The label on the CD itself is, “CADENCE RECORDS”, NEW YORK. There are 25 tracks on this CD. This compilation is from 2002 on Barnaby Records, Inc. “Courtesy of Barnaby Records, Inc. by arrangement with Celebrity Licensing, Inc.” 2002 Varese Sarabande Records, Inc. Liner notes are included in this CD. It is mint condition, as it is a brand new CD. Glen Campbell plays studio session guitar work on this CD. He plays on “I Like Your Kind Of Love”, and “Summer Love.” Distributed by Universal Music and Video Distribution, located in California. This is printed and made in the United States. This compilation of Andy Williams is the most comprehensive single disc collection of his Cadence Years from one of the most popular vocalists of all time.

I have one EP from Thailand with andy Williams on it and Glen Campbell but they do their own tracks so no studio work on that, but the CD should help.

Hope it helps.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 06:16 am:

Thanks, Cowpoke, for connecting the dots between Andy and Glen from possibly as far back as December 1960. Wow. I didn't know about them working together in the session days. Maybe Andy Williams recognized Glen's skills at that time and helped to spread the word about this young session player? (Still, hardly a "discovery", right?) I will see if I can find a copy of Andy's autobiography. Perhaps he writes about Glen or his experiences with session players.

-Dee

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 05:25 am:

Well Dee, I am not sure Andy discovered Glen, but, Glen did play on some of Andy's records as a session guitarist. One of them possibly was "(In the Summertime) You Don't Want My Love". How do I know? I have an audience tape from the Moon River theatre and Andy and Glen tell a (very funny) story about this recording session. The interesting thing is, this song was released on single in december 1960. If Glen really plays on this song, then it must have been one of the earliest (if not THE earliest) recording of Glen doing session work in Hollywood. And in that case I guess you could say that Andy Williams in a way discovered Glen...

Arlw, would you care to tell us what you have on Glen's session work for Andy Williams? Thanks!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2012 - 04:37 pm:

Not exactly the right thread, but anyway...

the b-side of this 1968 "Ohio Records" release

86815 Dianne Holtz
W4KM-5107 I Got The Hurt
W4KM-5108 Dead End Love

(Dead End Love) was co-written by Glen's Uncle Boo!

http://www.45rpmrecords.com/OH/Ohio%20(Hudson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).php

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 10:55 am:

In a few articles I found, Glen mentions playing guitar on the soundtrack of the 1963 Paul Newman movie "Hud". Sadly, there was no official soundtrack recording released.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2012 - 04:02 am:

Of course, Hee Haw. Glen and Roy did loads of things on there. I remember seeing Roy, Mel Tillis and Glen singing "When I Stop Dreaming", which Glen later recorded on that Louvin Brothers tribute album.

-Cowpoke