Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Martin D-18

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Glen Campbell with his Martin D18 and Rick Nelson

Post by jay »

Glen Campbell with Rick Nelson during Rick's tour in Japan in 1966. Glen is holding his Martin D-18.

Glen Campbell with Rick Nelson and his Martin d-18.jpg
Glen Campbell with Rick Nelson and his Martin d-18.jpg (231.84 KiB) Viewed 18901 times

jay

Glen Campbell with John Lodge and his Martin D18

Post by jay »

John Lodge (of the Moody Blues) with Glen Campbell and his Martin D18.

john lodge playing Glens Martin.jpg
john lodge playing Glens Martin.jpg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 20298 times

jay

Re: Glen Campbell's Martin D-18

Post by jay »

Glen playing with Cal, at home, during the Goodbye tour
Glen Martin gcf.jpg
Glen Martin gcf.jpg (165.08 KiB) Viewed 26120 times

jay

One more picture from the tracks...

Post by jay »

gc23.jpg
gc23.jpg (46.45 KiB) Viewed 26376 times

jay

Post by jay »

From the pictures that I have seen, my guess is that the guitar was worn in those area's before Glen got it.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

jay, it's a strange area to have wear and tear. The only guitarist I can think of who would play that far up the strings on a regular basis is Johnny Cash.

jay

Post by jay »

Yes, I think that the D-18 had wear on it when Glen got it, for a couple of reasons.
There are pictures of it, in the recording studio that would indicate that ... as well as... Glen's strumming and picking was textbook. None of his guitars had wear on them from pick use (or misuse). Just my .02.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hey Jay,
I would like to second Dee's remarks. I too hadn't made the links between the various guitars that Glen has used over the years. I assumed Glen bought or was given guitars by Ovation and kept them for relatively short periods. I had no idea Glen kept them for decades after he originally bought/used them. The Ovation Bluebird I guess was the first to catch my attention as I had seen it on the front of the Festival Hall album and of course in concerts after that time. You truly have given me a good education and a deeper appreciation of this aspect of glen's life. So thank you Jay, for all your hard work. I for one really appreciate it.
As regards the Martin guitar; In the Phoenix picture it already shows signs of age on the front, by the scratch board. Do you think it was several years old at that stage already or was that due to the repair work done on it.
I love the fact that Glen has a fondness for these guitars, as they are a part of his own history and career and have a great sentimental value to him as well as his fans, when they saw them on display..

jay

Re:Glen Campbell's Martin D-18

Post by jay »

Here is a picture taken of Glen with his Martin D-18, probably during the "By the Time I get to Phoenix" photography session, that was taken in LA.
Glen at the LA Rail Yard, just in front of the sixth street viaduct
Glen at the LA Rail Yard, just in front of the sixth street viaduct
GlenCampbell_Selections[3][2]-35.jpg (385.86 KiB) Viewed 27158 times
I am pretty sure that it is taken, at the LA River Railroads, looking back at the Sixth Street Viaduct, that spans the LA River.
LA River Railroad 6th St Viaduct.jpg
LA River Railroad 6th St Viaduct.jpg (53.21 KiB) Viewed 27158 times
Glen's D-18 Martin, is very distinguishable by the wear on the soundboard.

jay

Post by jay »

Here is a picture, that has surfaced, of Ashley playing the D-18, right before Glen and Kim moved to Nashville.
Martin.jpg
Martin.jpg (106.14 KiB) Viewed 27802 times