Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Check Out This Link - Glen Campbell News on the Web

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike, from what year is that movie? I have heard Jerry Reed fans says that Jerry run out of steam a little with his musical career. Maybe that's why he went on to make more movies. Glen really stayed ambitious until around the late 90s. Then he too ran out of steam for about a decade when Julian Raymond came along and fired him up again.

I sometimes wonder... what would have happened if Julian had came along ten years earlier? Would we have had more late career masterpieces by Glen?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

You just reminded me Cowpoke, I saw a film last night called Bat*21 which starred Gene Hackman, Danny Glover and Jerry Reed. Jerry also produced the film. It struck me that Jerry went on to build a very successful film career for himself after his initial singing career was established. It would have been great to see Glen in other roles later. After Strange Home Coming, I felt Glen showed himself to be a good drama actor and I think he could have pulled it off. I guess that just wasn't where he wanted to spend his time while there were halls of fans waiting for him to sing.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

In All Things Glen we should of course report that... comedian Arsenio Hall is a big... Glen Campbell fan!
“I’m actually a country music fan,” he said singing a few lines from Glen Campbell’s “Wichita Lineman.” “My folks are from Georgia and Alabama and I just love entertainment. I loved that Glen Campbell had a variety show and that his monologue was a song.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/hall ... trump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Re: Check Out This Link: A Dog Named...

Post by Dee »

"Glen Campbell" Now Starring in "Silver Belles"!

A few weeks ago I had read a review* of a new production, "Silver Belles", at the Tony Award®-winning Signature Theatre in Shirlington, Virginia. It is one of the theatres my theatre friends and I haunt from time to time. This paragraph in the review caught my eye:
...Silver Belles has easy-to-spot precursors from entertainment many a Baby Boomer may recall. A good sprinkle of Dolly Parton, more than a smidgen of Frank Capra, some dashes of recent Stephen Colbert skits, dusted with bits of Garrison Keillor. Heck, there is even a stuffed dog named Glen Campbell.

I was really intrigued about the significance of the dog's name! Why "Glen Campbell"? Unfortunately, I am not able to catch one of the performances.
However, a friend of mine saw "Silver Belles" last Sunday. I asked him why the dog was named "Glen Campbell". He said, "it is never explained why he is named Glen, but the show takes place in rural Tennessee with a country twist."

So, I guess the answer is why not Glen Campbell in a show with a "country twist"? The use of Glen's name certainly shows the extent of Glen's influence on pop culture--and the performing arts, I think! (Also, the theatre is located on Campbell Avenue; could be related to the dog's name ... or not.) :)

The production continues through December 31st. For more information, visit http://www.sigtheatre.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
If you attend on a weekend, check out Clyde's in the vicinity of Signature Theatre for breakfast or brunch. Great food. Woof!

Production Photo by Christopher Mueller
Silver Belles_Signature Theatre_Ilona Dulaski with Dog Named Glen Campbell_Dec 2016_GCF.jpg
Silver Belles_Signature Theatre_Ilona Dulaski with Dog Named Glen Campbell_Dec 2016_GCF.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 5148 times
*Review: http://dcmetrotheaterarts.com/2016/11/2 ... e-theatre/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link - Latest: "Rock-A-Doodle"

Post by Cowpoke »

Interesting article about the animated movie Rock-A-Doodle

http://dragonslairthemovie.com/remember ... -a-doodle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link - Latest: "Kacey Musgraves & Kindne

Post by Cowpoke »

From billboard.com:
In this exclusive clip from The Big Interview, Urban talks about his formative years musically, and admits that the first person to influence his writing – though he didn’t know it at the time -- was Jimmy Webb. “I sang a lot of Glen Campbell songs early on. 'Wichita Lineman,' 'Where’s The Playground, Susie?' 'Honey, Come Back.' I thought Glen wrote them all. I didn’t know,” he says candidly. "Then I saw his name -- Jimmy Webb -- on every one of his songs."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link - Latest: "Kacey Musgraves & Kindne

Post by Cowpoke »

Country music star Kacey Musgraves, a Glen Campbell fan for sure, has released a Christmas album.
One of the new songs, Christmas Makes Me Cry, is a clever ballad that could easily have been lifted off Pageant Material. “I think that one sounds like Glen Campbell, the late 1960s era that I love so much,” she says, “and it was actually quite hard to get through without crying myself!

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... -Christmas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Glen Campbell's iconic song, "Try A Little Kindness", inspired Sesame Street's new uptake of it performed by American Idol's Tori Kelly. This new release is part of Sesame Street's "Learn to Love Campaign" created to remind children of all ages to remember to spread small acts of kindness throughout the year. You can listen to the new "Kindness" here!

Announcement: https://hiddenremote.com/2016/12/03/tor ... rtnership/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Official Video Description:
K is for kindness! It's a simple word, it's true, but it's amazing what a word can do! Sing along with Tori Kelly and the rest of the Sesame Street gang as they sing a song all about kindness. How will you be kind today?

Dee

Post by Dee »

Jerry Reed_Wire Image.jpg
Jerry Reed_Wire Image.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 5418 times
I thought I would post this video for all Jerry Reed fans who read this board.
It is new to me but perhaps you all have already seen it or know about it.
It is Dooby-doooby-doo (and I ain't talking about Sinatra...lol!)
(Was Reed a fan of this show?)
From: "Son! (My Journey to Jerry Reed)" on "The Trailhead" blog by Avrel Seale at:
https://avrelseale.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... erry-reed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee

Post by Dee »

Great memories, Mike.
Unexpected surprises are the best!
I recently recalled when I received a Shirley Temple doll at Christmas.
I was a teen at that time, too old to play with dolls, of course.
But when I was a kid, I had been a BIG fan of Shirley's and watched all her films in black and white (before "colorization") that aired on "The Shirley Temple Theater" on Sunday afternoons.
No money at that time for a Shirley Temple doll.
So, when Santa surprised me, the teen, with a Shirley doll, I burst out in tears. Had never been so surprised or shocked, really. I love that doll and still have it and its original box!
Perhaps what surprised me most was that my Mom had somehow known the child in me secretly still wanted an ST doll, and I think it brought her great joy that she could give me one.
Oddly enough, I recently watched a rebroadcast of a 1971 or 1972 Sonny and Cher Christmas Show, and this very same doll shows up in one of the shows segments! I can't wait to watch this show with Mom now.
Dee