Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Can anyone tell me about this record?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Can anyone tell me about this record?

Post by Cowpoke »

Nothing more to add to Arlw's excellent answer. Except maybe that the album is also available as digital download

https://www.amazon.com/Swinging-String- ... 001TOHJBY/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and as CD...

https://www.amazon.com/Swinging-String- ... 001R23JIA/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that all rereleases only had the 10 songs that were on the first rerelease Country Shindig (1965). If you want to know where you can find the other 2 songs, let me know!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
KMFrye54

Post by KMFrye54 »

Hey Arlw- thanks for the information! I guess I won't put it at the top of the "git" list for Glen Campbell albums, but if I do run across one, I'd still probably pick it up for nostalgia's sake.

Happy New Year!

arlw

Post by arlw »

From my collection and what I learned over the years:

The 12 String Guitar Of Glen Campbell - Pickwick SPC-3052 Third time reissue/repackage is the charm--Pickwick PC/SPC 3052 from September, 1966
The original version of this was a January, 1964 LP, THE SWINGING 12 STRING WITH HARPSICORD, as by the In Group, full list regular release. Musician lineup on the album was “GLEN CAMPBELL wailing on the Twelve String Guitar, LEON RUSSELL playing the percussive Harpsichord, .TOMMY TEDESCO, six string guitar...JIMMY BOND, Bass...and EARL PALMER, Drums." - per the original LP liner notes. The original LP had 12 tracks. The second incarnation was COUNTRY SHINDIG on Surrey SS 1007, with 10 tracks, which merited a Billboard magazine review write-up in 1965, I think September (hmmm... to take advantage of "Universal Soldier" running up the singles chart and Capitol putting out BIG BAD ROCK GUITAR?), under the erroneous assumption it was a full-list album, not a budget junk LP. Then it was repackaged again (10 tracks) as GLEN CAMPBELL PLAYS 12 STRING GUITAR, on Pickwick PC/SPC 3052, in 1966-7, another budget LP. Then it showed up again on the abominable Buckboard, then still abominable Springboard, the worst junk labels on the market circa 1980, and as WAY BACK WHEN as by Leon Russell/Glen Campbell on Koala in 1981. (Search out any LP on Buckboard/Springboard; let your first be Bing Crosby's HEY JUDE, a cut down piece of schlock repackaging his 1969 Amos LP.)
Mono copy of this title, PC 3052, is a (I hate to use the word) "rare" record, though of little value. Stereo is far more the common version.

Hope this helps-it's basically a re-issue on a cheap label--on Pickwick, it almost always says previously released on Capitol-try and find it!!! The recording is not that great but if you are a collector, I would go for this--they are from the US/Canada and other places...The picture you posted w/Glen's signature is way too high-I have seen these anywhere from 2.00-15.00!!

]

Randy

Post by Randy »

I have got both albums but no turntable. Sorry.

KMFrye54

Can anyone tell me about this record?

Post by KMFrye54 »

"The 12 String Guitar of Glen Campbell" was one of two instrumental albums I owned back in the day. I managed to lose both over time, but recently was able to grab an unplayed copy of the other one - "The Astounding 12-string...".. But this one is the one I am curious about.

I hve not heard it for several years -decades, really- but my memory of the songs on this LP are that the leads sound more like a harpsichord than a guitar.

Does anyone know anything about the album? How it was recorded, was the odd sound deliberate?etc?

(note- this isn't mine. I still haven't found a replacement copy)
Attachments
231070807279_1.jpg
231070807279_1.jpg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 4456 times