Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Check Out This Link - Glen Campbell News on the Web

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by Cowpoke »

You're right. Fiftieth anniversary of Glen's first classic hit!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Cowpoke »

No I didn't get to see Glen when he still toured Europe. He did that until the early 80s I believe. I was around 10 years old at that time. In 1987 I got a Pop Music Encyclopedia for my birthday. That's when I started to discover all kinds of different artists. There was a special section about songwriters in it. It mentioned Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weill etc. but also a certain Jimmy Webb who intrigued me. It mentioned his solo albums and said "Letters" and "El Mirage" were his strongest solo efforts. I managed to track down both albums in second hand stores. That's when I first heard the song Galveston! After that I went looking for songs written by Jimmy. That's when I found a cassette of Glen Campbell recordings in our local library introducing me to "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix"! I remained a Jimmy Webb fan ever since. But it took until 2007 before I finally started digging into Glen's rich catalog of recordings. Then I found the Glen Campbell forum and... the rest is history! :D

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Those years were not good for Glen personally or creatively. Still, he kept going and still had pulling power in the theatres etc. Did you see Glen in the years he toured Europe. I always caught his concerts when he returned after a long absence, following his 1977 tour.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Yes Cowpoke, I think that sums it up well. I thought the preceding song "Dream of me" has very much the same feel as gentle but does have a nice solo. Still can't believe it's the 50th anniversary of "Gentle on my mind" where did the time go.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Alison Kraus' new album (including a cover of "Gently on My Mind") can be listened to here:

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/09/514096051 ... windy-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About "Gentle": a nice version. Sounds a little like the live version Glen did in recent years. But I miss the guitar solo! :)

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That's a good point. I had never heard the song "Any Which Way But Loose" by Eddie Rabbit song but apparently it was a No. 1 hit on the country charts in 1978. That was surely an incentive for Glen to record the title song of the follow-up Clint Eastwood movie "Any Which Way You Can" in 1980. Both movies were immensely popular. Too bad Glen's version didn't enter the Billboard Hot 100 like Eddie's song did. Still in the period 1978 - 1983 (!) it was Glen's only top 10 country hit. In 1977 Glen had scored a top 10 hit with "Sunflower". And in 1984 Glen finally entered the top 10 again with "Faithless Love" and " A Lady Like You".

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Oh for sure Cowpoke. It would have been like Lambert and Potter all over again. Glen just needed to find some great song to kick start it all over again. I guess that was why he did some movie songs which he must have hoped would help like it did with Eddie Rabbit's theme song Every which way but loose. Of course glen did have another go with Larry Weiss' Hollywood smiles which did get airplay in the UK but failed to chart. It is very difficult to maintain a career in the pop world as we all know, but at least the country fans did show some loyalty.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Speaking of "Galveston", check out "Galveston's More Than a Glen Campbell Song" from JD Richards' new album "Window Seat on a Spiritual Plane" released February 1, 2017. Singer / songwriter JD Richards wrote this song because "I always thought Campbell's Jimmie (sic) Webb song 'Galveston' was well written and well sung but it didn't paint the picture of the island I love so much."

cc: Erik the Dane :)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hey Cowpoke, Alison Krauss is a fine singer. I bought her album "A hundred miles or more" which was released in 2007. I guess this was a collection of tracks brought together onto the same album, so it wouldn't count as a studio album per se. Her cover of Gentle, I would think, will be a great track on the album. No doubt she will include some great banjo and fiddle playing on the track as well as her wonderful voice.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Alison Kraus' new solo album will contain a cover version of "Gentle on My Mind".

http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/alison-krau ... city-98788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;