Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Check Out This Link - Glen Campbell News on the Web

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Cowpoke »

Here's a nice little quiz. Match these "lines" with the songs they came from and match the songs with the artist who performed them. Hint: you should get at least one answer right! :)

http://www.dailypostathenian.com/opinio ... f1f4b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Re: New DVD / CD Releases

Post by Mike Joyce »

It is amazing to think Gentle is 50 years old now. I can still remember buying the album when I worked at a Hifi TV store. The record came with a selection of other albums. I was just getting into Glen at the time and didn't know of the album but then there it was right in front of me. I of course asked to buy it there and then. The same thing happened with Highwayman later. There was a joy in finding these albums, especially the more difficult albums like Norwood, which I spotted in a shop window. We didn't have the benefit of Ebay etc so it was a case of hunting them down through different record shops and collectors' suppliers. Still I got there in the end.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Great find, Mike. Thanks for posting it. New to me, too!

In reply to your question below about "Waltzes", yes, I remember this wonderful performance!
It's a favourite of mine, and I posted it for other fans to enjoy, too, here: http://www.glencampbellforums.com/viewt ... 6879#p6879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you again,
Dee

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I just noticed this track by Bobbie Gentry.

I never knew she had recorded this song. I also noticed Lynn Anderson has a version with the name Bobby instead of Susie.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I noticed this show was being broadcast on The Ultimate Oldies Show. It is regarding the Wrecking Crew. I haven't heard it all yet but I imagine Glen will be included.
https://beta.tunein.com/program/?ProgramId=882587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dee, I am glad you enjoyed Glen at the Pebble Mill show. Do you remember he also sang "They still dance to Waltzes in England" at the end of the show. Great version. Sadly, The BBC closed down that site and I believe it has been demolished some years ago.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Yes, I love the Pebble Mill studio version, too, Mike & Cowpoke.
I was blessed to have received a share of it several years ago from a very good friend. The Butterfly Effect. :)

Check out this Country Music Nation article. Eleven has never been such a small, small number.

11 Of The Last Living Classic Country Legends

:arrow: http://countrymusicnation.com/11-of-the ... ry-legends" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Totally agree, Glen's ballad versions are wonderful too. And that Pebble Mill version is awesome. It brings the song down to its core. It doesn't need any embellishments to convince.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

That is probably right Cowpoke. The first time you hear something is the one that creates the deeper impression on the mind. Having said that I loved the ballad version of Galveston from the Festival Hall concert which was the first time I recalled hearing that song. I found it very moving and loved the arrangement. However I also fell in love with the recorded version when I heard it on an album for the first time. I felt the arrangement reflected the dramatic situation of the war the guy was in and in my mind created an ominous feel of the battle he was involved in. Still love both versions equally. But as you say Cowpoke, Glen took the song to another level in his live versions. I was especially taken by the version Glen performed at the Pebble Mill studio in my very own city of Birmingham. No guitar solo but a great delivery I thought.

Of course the other wonderful version is on Sessions with Jimmy on the piano.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

>You appreciated good song writers first and then found Glen who is one of Jimmy's best perpetrator's of his work
That's exactly right. In fact, Glen is one of the few artists I admire that is not a great songwriter himself. To me he's the best song interpreter of all time.

I hear what you are saying about being spoiled by Glen's vocals and Al de Lory's arrangements. Still, imagine if you heard Jimmy's 1972 version of Galveston first. Wouldn't Glen's studio version sound a little too smooth and bombastic after that? It did and still does for me. However, Glen's live versions of the song are just magnificent and the best I think.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hey that's an interesting story there Cowpoke. You appreciated good song writers first and then found Glen who is one of Jimmy's best perpetrator's of his work. You found the same ocean following a different river.
I found Jimmy from the opposite direction via Glen. To be honest I didn't enjoy Jimmy's albums that much. I was spoiled by Glen's smooth vocals and Al De Lory's arrangements. However now I am older I have more appreciation of the soul of his singing rather than it's imperfections, and the beauty of the lyrics sung with a truthful heart .
It's funny you mention cassette tapes. My earliest recording of Glen was of his Festival Hall concert which I recorded off air with a microphone. It was broadcast as a two part 45 minute show in 1977. I listened to it a hundred times until I managed to buy the double album. That tape is still in a box, and that poor recording would take me back to those days, more so than the stereo pristine album I bought later.