Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Would Glen have supported Pres. Donald Trump? + JW Songs

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Would Glen have supported Pres. Donald Trump? + JW Songs

Post by Cowpoke »

Mike sorry it took so long to respond but I still am not sure about that chord Glen changed at the end. To me it's seems the man in the video you posted doesn't accentuate Glen's chord change. Strange... But thanks very much for responding. I too remember an interview with Glen in which he explains exactly what the changed. I wish I knew which interview it was!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Exactly Randy, "many people listen but don't hear," as Jimmy Webb said on one of the concerts I attended.
The song is about the personal story of this guy who happens to be in love with a young lady from Galveston. Much like Wichita Lineman is also a love song about a guy longing to be with someone he loves dearly. in Wichita. (Could be the same guy of course). The fact he was a lineman wasn't important. He could just as easily been a truck driver.

Randy

Post by Randy »

And Glen Campbell's thoughts on the song Galveston....as which I've always agreed with...........

https://youtu.be/-LyxSRPBYLA?t=1450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Joyce

Re: Would Glen have supported Pres. Donald Trump?

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke,
I found this on youtube. This guy plays a C Major 7 as a bar chord which has a different feel to the open CM7 I was referring to. I have tried it and it seems to go with the original recording. After playing this chord, Instead of a B flat He then slides back to an A7 chord and then back to the CMajor 7 I hope this helps.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Sorry Cowpoke, I had put the chords over the words but when I posted it the chords have been compressed together.

C-------- Em-------------- A7----------DM7----------------------Em--------A7-------------DM7--
Though Time and time I tried to tell her so........ She just didn't know ............... I would really go-------- ,
G-------------A7-------DM7
No she didn't know I'd Go...............
Each chord is one bar.

As regards Johnny Rivers version, I played it at capo 3 and at the end of the first time, when he sings "really go"......... I found the A chord fitted OK which without a capo would be C. So it seems Johnny Rivers used the original score as it is written in the book. When I played Glen's recorded version he is also in the same key but the last chord is different.I can't find a match for it, but I am no Glen Campbell. He probably used a chord shape up the neck.
I will see if I can find the interview when Glen mentions this, to see if I can confirm what he said.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Due to my very limited talent as a singer and a guitar player I am not able to match the chords you mention with those lines from the song! :shock:

But the change that Glen made to one or a few of those last chords is definitely a bigger change than from C to CM7. The thing is: after Glen's hit version, when Jimmy performed it himself, he also used that chord change. So, we have never heard Jimmy play it the way he originally wrote it. The only two versions that had the original chords at the end are Johnny Rivers' version and Pat Boone's version.

Here is Johnny Rivers' version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJp-5aDZ0V0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's complete different at the end I think. To my ears, Glen added at least two new chords?

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke, To be honest I sing Phoenix in a different key to the original score, but I think they are the chord progression Jimmy uses, but Glen did say he changed the last chord on the word go (I think it was on the Good times again DVD). Instead of C Glen probably used a CM7 chord.
When I sing it I do it as follows
C Em A7 DM7 Em - A7 DM7 G
Though Time and time I tried to tell her so........ She just didn't know ............... I would really go , No she didn't
A7 DM7
know I'd Go

Repeat last chord 2-3 times to a final strum.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks Mike. If Jimmy moved to LA in 1964 then Jimmy wrote the song Galveston while still living in Elk City Oklahoma, being a boy of 16 or 17 years old, while visiting Galveston during a holiday perhaps. Talk about talent!
The question is, Glen was given Don Ho's single by Don Ho himself. So those were the lyrics Glen would have heard. Did he then talk to Jimmy about the song at that point and perhaps Jimmy said he would rewrite sections for Glen before he took it into the studio to record it. It seems odd to do that and then change the arrangement without asking Jimmy.
Well I think that's likely scenario yes. In fact, I can even imagine that Glen asked Jimmy to rewrite the second verse, perhaps because the sentiment in it borders on desertion (putting down your gun and going home). But on the other hand, maybe Jimmy took the initiative and wanted to improve the quality of the lyrics. For Glen to then take it to the studio and do his own thing with it... well I guess that's just Glen!

Oh about the chords in Phoenix. I played them on my guitar but I still can't figure out whether they are from Glen's version or Johnny Rivers/Pat Boone's version?

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke. It looks like 1964 is when Jimmy moved to California according to Wikipedia. Other sites just say the sixties. It was only when I realised Jimmy grew up in Oklahoma did it dawn on me why the song Phoenix was written as it is. It all made perfect sense, if he based it on himself.
Randy, thanks for that clarification.It wasn't clear to me on reading your brief post what you were implying in your comments.
I agree entirely with your comment Dee, that it would have been wonderful to have had Glen and Jimmy offer a feature where they would clarify questions raised by fans who want to know some of the finer details of their careers or writings etc. that would be a great database to pull info from for researchers etc. Still I think forum members here who have contributed so much detailed information over the years regarding records, guitars and all the other areas of Glen's life have created a wealth of knowledge unequaled on the internet.
I forgot to say Cowpoke, your comment about Jimmy being so young and still developing his skills is so true. Like everyone at that age (late teens, early twenties) so much changes mentally and emotionally for us. And Jimmy may have looked at Galveston and decided with more experience, he could improve on the the original lyrics. I have done that myself with songs I wrote years ago. In fact its not just the lyrics but also the chords used in the song which when revised add more colour to the song.
The question is, Glen was given Don Hoe's single by Don Hoe himself. So those were the lyrics Glen would have heard. Did he then talk to Jimmy about the song at that point and perhaps Jimmy said he would rewrite sections for Glen before he took it into the studio to record it. It seems odd to do that and then change the arrangement without asking Jimmy.
BTW, In Phoenix the chords appear the same in the early score compared to the latest version I have. It ends with
Fm, G, C, B flat, C, B flat, C

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

That's right Randy. You can never know, can you? :) Thanks to all for taking the time to think about these posts and replying to them. I appreciate it very much.
For me too, these forums are a way to preserve and celebrate Glen's legacy as a musician and entertainer. With the archives of the previous forums included we go back 20 years of discussing Glen. And we still aren't through talking! :)

To Mike, thanks for all your additional information. I can understand that all the music scores show the changes Glen made to Jimmy's song, because that's when those songs became famous. I take it that the score of Phoenix also has the chord change Glen made at the end of the song?

I also agree that Glen's changes made the songs better. Your thoughts on why leaving out "again" from "time and time again" are spot on. I never realized Glen's change was not just about improving the flow of the sentence but also resulted in a subtle change in meaning.

I made one mistake in my own post. Galveston was not originally written in 1964 but in... 1963! So Jimmy was even younger when he wrote it. On the back of Jimmy's "Letters" album it says: ©1963 Ja-Ma Music (BMI). Now my question to you Mike is, was Jimmy still living in Oklahoma in 1963 or had he already moved to California?