Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Danny Schorr's Glen Campbell Guitar Tutorials on Youtube

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
D. Schorr

Re: Danny Schorr's Glen Campbell Guitar Tutorials on Youtube

Post by D. Schorr »

When Glen Campbell took this solo, he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease. He didn't recognize himself in old pictures, he didn't know what day, month, season or year it was. He was honored with a Grammy but didn't really completely understand what it was. - In the movie "I'll Be Me" which documents his last tour after going public with his diagnosis, he tells the doctor, "I can still play geetar, though!", and man, he wasn't joking. The disease hadn't progressed yet to the point where he lost his improvisational skills at all - in fact, they said it was so ingrained in him that it would probably be among the last things to go. The proof is right here.
This is a solo that anybody anywhere at any level of health would be proud to pull off, All of Glen's hallmarks and trademarks - the fast runs, the arpeggios, the odd outside notes, the chromaticism - it's all there just like it was when he was at his peak.
I really had a blast learning and playing this one. Hope it serves you well.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Very well done Danny. You make it look so easy! :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
D. Schorr

Post by D. Schorr »

Wichita Lineman" From Sioux Falls - a popular request.

"This solo shows a beauty and simplicity that belies it's virtuosity. . Glen really says a whole lot more with a whole lot less. Great solo from a great guitarist. Not super hard to learn to play. "

This one came out REALLY good, If I do say so myself. Short, sweet and to the point. It's mostly simple - if you can't play the tricky part, just fake it :P

D. Schorr

Post by D. Schorr »

Thanks, Cowpoke - I really appreciate the compliment. Believe it or not, I wasn't aware of Glen's guitar genius until a student requested to learn the "Terric Guitar Break" version of "Gentle on My Mind" that jimmy cee has on YouTube. Now, this particular student is not a GC fanatic, that was just a random request he had that week.

I figured it out and showed it to him, and then I started exploring more.

I knew who he was, of course, and I knew he was in the Wrecking Crew, But I heard something exceptional in that solo and started to seek out other stuff. Lo and Behold.... funny how life turns on such random encounters sometimes..

Oh , and if anyone is interested, Here's the original video I made - The first Glen Campbell Guitar guitar solo instruction video ever on Youtube!

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Danny, thanks so much for posting these videos. I am really trying to get to play one of the more easy solos.
I was very impressed by your latest video on My Window Faces the South. You are a great player yourself!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
D. Schorr

Post by D. Schorr »

Got another one for anyone who is watching ( I honestly have no idea)

Learning a lot about Glen by learning his solos. I like this one because it's a really early example of the unique ways that Glen arranged the notes he used.
Dee explained to me Glen's early admiration for Django Reinhardt, that helped me understand where he was coming from in some of his ideas.
Anyway, here it is, and here it will stay.

ENJOY!

D. Schorr

Post by D. Schorr »

Got another one done - a fun one and you don't have to be a virtuoso:

Neat little country solo by Glen. A little fast, but not out of reach like some of his other solos
that I'm trying to get together Fun to play at a moderate tempo, too.

D. Schorr

Post by D. Schorr »

Hey all, new lesson for you-
"Sun Do Shine"

Cool little solo by GC. It's easy, and it's not. If you have some experience with country techniques, it's not hard at a moderate speed, but it's a little tough to get at full speed. Very tasty, and one of the few Glen solos playable by mortals.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Thanks for the link jay, I doubt I could copy Glen, but it's great to see the way it's done.

jay

Danny Schorr's Glen Campbell Guitar Tutorials on Youtube

Post by jay »

If you play guitar, you already know how talented Glen is, by it being almost IMPOSSIBLE to replicate his solo's.
Danny Schorr has an instructional channel on YouTube and has begun to share (FREE) lessons on some of Glen's solos (you can also find other great guitar lessons on his channel)!
These videos are extremely helpful in working through the complex runs that Glen pulls off so effortlessly.

A lesson that most beginners can jump on is Guitar solo cover & lesson: Glen Campbell " Little Doll" - An EASY G.C. solo

Another example of a tough solo that Danny breaks down for us is How to play the guitar solo to Glen Campbell's 'Gentle on My Mind". Even if you do not play guitar, check out this video to see how Glen can fly through a solo that is complex.