Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Check Out This Link - Glen Campbell News on the Web

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Check Out This Link

Post by Cowpoke »

Glen was honored with a Career Achievement Award from the Music Business Association (established as the National Association of Recording Merchandisers (NARM) in 1958, its membership includes music retailers, distributors, and others involved in the sale of music and related merchandise).

https://www.facebook.com/glencampbellof ... 26/?type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice to see that Steve Wariner presented the award.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Vol. 2 holds its position at #8 on Billboard's 200 (week of May 20th)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee,
That is great news about the album charting. It will surely bring in new young fans to Glen's music.
As regards Southern nights, I can see what you are saying. Personally I always felt it was Allen making the point that we live in a beautiful world in which we could all co exist peacefully but frustratingly in his mind, others seem to have lost sight of the joy to be found in life. If we just appreciated the world's natural beauty that is all around us, instead of fighting over territory or power, how much better it would be for us all to find the joy he has in a Southern night..
The NASA astronauts tend to feel the same way when they see the earth from space and come to realise, it is just one planet in the vastness of space, which we all share and need to take care of for future generations to benefit from.
The song is great poetry as Glen said.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks, Mike.
I have yet to find a Doritos bag cassette player for Guardians 2 listed on amazon in the U.S.
Not that I would buy one. I am just curious to learn how much this item is selling for before it hits the secondary marketplace. $10? $20?
Or, maybe it is worth buying now to sell later.
A friend of mine sold a bag of ELVIS PRESLEY Hershey’s Reese’s Peanut Butter & Banana Cups Miniatures manufactured in 2007, a 30th anniversary item in commemoration of Elvis's death. Original price: I am guessing at around $3.99. In his listing he wrote, "We absolutely do not advise eating this candy due to its age—it was manufactured in 2007. As a Limited Edition sold by a major candy manufacturer, these peanut butter and banana Reese’s cups are not now edible but may have “ap-peel” for Elvis or Hershey’s / Reese’s Cups collectors."
This bag of candy sold for $35.00 last year on the secondary market. Either the purchaser is very happy now or he had a quick demise.

NEW CHARTING NEWS! The Guardians 2 Soundtrack has now charted, btw. It debuted at #8 on the Billboard 200. I didn't look at the other charts.
So, Glen Campbell, your "Southern Nights" is back on the board!

I pulled up the song's lyrics for the first time. It "sort of" is an anti-war protest song. (If you ignore the "La da da da da da la da da da da da da da da".) What do you all think? A possible connection with the American Civil War? Or something personal in Toussaint's life? From Wikipedia:
The lyrics of "Southern Nights" were inspired by childhood memories Allen Toussaint had of visiting relatives in the Louisiana backwoods, which often entailed storytelling under star-filled nighttime skies. When Campbell heard Toussaint's version, he immediately identified with the lyrics which reminded him of his own youth growing up on an Arkansas farm. In October 1976, Campbell recorded the song with slightly modified lyrics.

It may not be a far stretch that Toussaint's story-telling relatives in the South spoke of tragic family memories from the Civil War.

"Southern Nights"
Written by Allen Toussaint

Southern nights
have you ever felt a southern night?
Free as a breeze
not to mention the trees
Whistling tunes that you know and love so.
Southern nights
just as good even when closed your eyes.
I apologize to anyone who can truly say
That he has found a better way
Southern skies
have you ever noticed southern skies?
It's precious beauty lies just beyond the eye.
It goes running through your soul
Like the stories told of old
Old man
he and his dog that walked the old land
Ev'ry flower touched his cold hand.
As he slowly walked by
weeping willows
Would cry for joy
Joy
Feel so good
feel so good
it's frigth'ning.
Wish I could,
stop this world from fighting.
La da da da da da la da da da da da da da da
Mysteries
like this and many others in the trees
Blow in the night
in the southern skies.
Southern nights
they feel so good it's fright'ning . . .
Wish I could stop this world from fighting
La da da da da da la da da da da da
da da da da da da da da da da da

Love Toussaint's LP cover!
Album Cover_Allen Toussaint's Southern Nights.jpg
Album Cover_Allen Toussaint's Southern Nights.jpg (116.06 KiB) Viewed 6909 times

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Dee, I was checking this out yesterday. Apparently these packs have sold really well and stock has already gone here in the UK. I guess they will be over on Ebay very shortly.

Dee

Post by Dee »

Good one, Mike! lololol!
I can't even think of a good comeback!
Dee :)

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hey Dee,
Lets hope the sound is crisp. :lol:

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

‘Industry Jam’ Live Concert Event Returns for Music Biz 2017 in Nashville with Performances from Industry Execs, Top Musicians

Special awards will also be presented to the Alice Cooper band (accepted by original members Dennis Dunaway, Michael Bruce, and Neal Smith), Glen Campbell (accepted by his wife, Kimberly Woolen, with a special performance featuring Ashley Campbell, Shannon Campbell, and Cal Campbell), and renowned artist manager Toby Mamis.

See more at: https://musicbiz.org/news/industry-jam- ... musicians/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Post by Dee »

Glen's "Southern Nights" to rock out from limited edition bags of Doritos!
Nooooo, I am not making this up!
In fact, the entire official soundtrack from the film, "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2", will be available to PLAY on specially-designed Doritos bags incorporating cassette players.

2017-04-25-Doritos Cassette Player_Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.jpg
2017-04-25-Doritos Cassette Player_Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.jpg (146.9 KiB) Viewed 6365 times
Read about this unique marketing campaign by Doritos and Marvel Studios (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 film):

Doritos & Marvel Partner for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Promotion: Exclusive
Billboard
:arrow: http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/n ... -promotion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listen to the 'Guardians 2' soundtrack using this bag of Doritos
Techspot
:arrow: http://www.techspot.com/news/69092-list ... ritos.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You won't be able to purchase this limited edition Doritos bag from your grocery store.
"The custom bags will be available for consumer purchase on April 28 via Amazon.com/Doritos while supplies last."

Sounds a bit "cheesy" to me. :roll:
~Dee

P.S. to Cowpoke / Wikipedia editors

The first "Guardians of the Galaxy" soundtrack spent two weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart and was the tenth largest selling album of 2014 (543,000 sold, according to Nielsen SoundScan).
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/6 ... sette-tape" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll bet Vol. 2 will chart, and it may be the most unusual charting compilation album listed in Glen's discography! But will you have to list the Doritos bag, too? lol

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I caught some of Convoy the other day, and it was the part where you can hear Southern nights in the background during an evening rest for the drivers of the convoy trucks.
Dee, you will of course know it starred Kris Kristofferson as the rubber duck. I bought the album at the time and of course went to see the movie to hear Glen.