Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Last Studio Album 'Adios' ~ Now Gold!

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell's Last Studio Album 'Adios' ~ Now Gold!

Post by Cowpoke »

Great news. Thanks for the update Dee!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Dee

Re: Glen Campbell's Last Studio Album 'Adios' - Now Gold!

Post by Dee »

Adios_22 Sept 2017.jpg
Adios_22 Sept 2017.jpg (4.74 KiB) Viewed 8640 times
Glen Campbell's final studio album, 'Adios', was certified GOLD on September 22, 2017 by BPI in the U.K.
Released on June 17, 2017 (UK), 'Adios', reached 100,000 in sales as measured by the Official Charts Company. Sales included streams.

Thank you, fans!

You can check out the Award Tracker for 'Adios' on BPI's official website here:

https://www.bpi.co.uk/award/14433-442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The next award level certification for an album is "Platinum", requiring 300,000 in sales.

Cowpoke

Re: Glen Campbell's New DVD/CD Releases: Adiós June 9th

Post by Cowpoke »

Just read that Adios has gone "silver" in the UK, which means 60,000 units have been sold. Not bad for this day and age.

SenatorV

Post by SenatorV »

Couldn't agree more. It's a proper Glen Campbell album, much more so than the previous three releases which certainly had great moments but felt at times to be trying a little too hard. I'm listening to Adíos a lot and I can't believe those vocal performances are coming from a 75-year-old man with Alzheimer's. The Jimmy Webb collaborations are the high points of the set for me, which comes as no surprise. I'm telling all my friends about it and am thrilled to see how well it's doing in the UK; I listen to BBC Radio 2 every morning and they have given it a fair amount of airplay since its release. All in all, a worthy conclusion to a monumental career.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

I couldn't sleep this morning, so as the sky line became lighter, I decided to get up and do something positive.
Adios
I wanted to share my thoughts about Adios. Since Meet Glen Campbell 2008 was released we have seen a rise in Glen's chart success which was very welcome. Three years later and following the sad news of Glen's Alzheimers, we had Ghost on the canvas which was highly acclaimed. Then followed "See you there" in 2013. This I assumed was to be the last of Glen's new album releases. I personally found this last recording disappointing. The album name seemed pointless and the production of some of the tracks was well below what we had come to expect from a Glen Campbell album.
I was totally taken back by the news of a new album of brand new recordings, and to be honest I was half dreading what was to come.
What ever expectations I had were low, but upon hearing the title track on youtube my doubts were for the most part eased. I placed my order and when the CD arrived I played it through a couple of times. And I can say now that this album is Glen at his very best. It is an album that stands up to Glen's albums in his prime.
The fact that it has done so well in the UK and in fact nearly matches his success with 20 Golden Greats in 1976 says that many fans and more casual listeners found something to appreciate. The BBC have played tracks from the album everyday and the album has been praised by critics and DJs alike.
For me, this album has many elements which make it very special. The choice of tracks by Jimmy Webb, Jerry Reed,Willie Nelson and Roger Miller, made it feel like Glen paying tribute to those dear friends in music, while he still had the opportunity to do so in style.
I think also, a big thank you to Carl Jackson is required for his production of this album. Carl, having been a lifelong friend and someone who understood and appreciated Glen's history, was able to arrange the songs to suit Glen's style and allow Glen's voice to ring true one last time. In fact I thought Glen's voice was strong and warm and his range seemed as good as ever. There were minor slips but that only added to the poignancy of what this album means to us all.
The biggest trill for me personally is the track Postcard from Paris. I have always loved this song, since I first heard it sung by John Denver. When Glen sang it at the Symphony Hall in Birmingham with just TJ, on the keyboard, It brought tears to my eyes. Sadly the versions that were recorded on See you there were a big disappointment to say the least. But when the track started to play on my stereo I held my breath, waiting for that penultimate "wish you were here" chord I had heard at the concert. And it was there and the whole arrangement was spot on. It felt like Glen was saying," here you are Mike, you knew I wouldn't let you down".
I loved the comment I read about a guy who listening to the album said, "You knows when a song is good when, while listening to the track I pick up my guitar and try to play along" I thought that is the way I react to a great song.
On final point, I now hope that the music industry will see fit to shower this album with recognition and awards, not least for Carl Jackson, who has provided all of Glen's fans and the wider public with 37 minutes and 21 seconds of endless joy.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Just noticed, Adios is top selling American album in the UK and is also number 1 in Scotland.
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/am ... ums-chart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Adios has gone back up the UK charts. It had dropped to number 13 but is now back at number 2
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Wichita lineman single has also entered the UK singles chart at 98.
It will be interesting to see the chart next week for sure.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi guys,
Haven't been in touch for a while.
I just watched the video and yes it does seem an unnecessary way to conclude the video. I read the thoughts of Ashley about it being about the fire of music passing through each of us.
"My father's music has touched so many people's lives so I hope that this video will resonate with a lot of people,music moves through us all in different ways, lighting a fire in each of us. That fire will always be burning as music keeps moving and as each of us continues to pass the torch."
I think it was meant to be respectful but I think it could have been achieved in other ways.
I love the CD and will post later my thoughts about it.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

I have to agree. Setting fire to a guitar like some kind of ritual? I cannot image Glen liking this idea. Above all, I think the video is just not very well made. I can understand there's not much budget, but beautiful low budget music videos have been made. Sadly, this is not one of them.

BobbieG

Post by BobbieG »

Haven't posted lately but the new ADIOS video does not, as we southerners say, "hold water" with me.
It is about death,,,but why? The Arkansas farm boy whom we all cherish and respect has not passed on.
Mr. Campbell is still alive and "healthy and happy" as described by his steadfast wife and kin. He has late-stage alzheimer's disease and,,,by the grace of God,,,he is still with us until God calls him home.
Why, why ,why release this sorrowful video now?
Then there is the guitar's fate......
The ending was written to be shocking, to elicit strong emotions,,,,but my friends, I see it for what it is,,,,a cheap trick on the viewers--fans of Mr. Campbell's. The director's decision to light a match and destroy a guitar by pagan ritual was done only to add "shock value". The destruction of a musical instrument is a shameful thing to see, indeed one that is made to appear to be one of Mr. Campbell's own guitars.
Is the song in itself not emotional enough that it needed this blazing visual too?
Thank you all for letting me rant.
May God Bless You, Glen Campbell.
BobbieG