Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Source of "In Session" recording with Leon Russell, 1983?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Source of "In Session" recording with Leon Russell, 1983

Post by admin »

Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums, FireCooky. Great question.
Glen's performance of "Gentle On My Mind" (how about that outstanding guitar solo!) is from a Canadian television series "In Session".
The series was filmed live at CHCH TV Studios in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
There were 26 episodes in total, 13 from 1983 and 13 from 1987.

The segment you posted with Glen and Leon Russell is from one of the In Session episodes featuring these two artists in 1983.

We believe the Session tracks included:

I saw the light / Gentle on my mind / Heartbreak hotel / They still dance to waltzes in England / Rollin' in my sweet baby's arms / Jambalaya / A song for you / Southern nights / At the end of the line / You've lost that lovin' feelin / Columbus Stockade Blues / Cryin' / You don' know me / Mama don't allow / Lady blue / I Believe to my soul (a Ray Charles cover) aka Tryin' to make a fool out of me / Rhinestone cowboy

Fans of both Leon and Glen have been searching / hoping for this in studio program to be professionally released for years on DVD -- and CD. It was never released, including "Gentle", not to our knowledge. Segments occasionally show up on YouTube and appear to be from fans' recordings. Oddly, there is very little information on the net about the In Sessions series.

The above information was posted on Glen's forum on May 24, 2012 by Cowpoke, co-admin here.

FireCooky

Source of "In Session" recording with Leon Russell, 1983?

Post by FireCooky »

I really like this rendition of Gentle on my Mind with Leon Russell that's on Youtube:

It sure looks like they're performing in a studio, but I can't find a sound recording of the session published anywhere. The audio quality on that video isn't great as it was transferred from VHS. The poster identifies it as having been recorded in 1983.

Does anybody know if this audio was published elsewhere, possibly in a boxed set or an EP?