Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Inlay Guitars

Everything from Glen Campbell's history with Ovation, other guitar talk, and guitar picks!
Cowpoke

Re: Inlay Guitars

Post by Cowpoke »

Thanks for your reply Gill. So you worked on two of Glen´s best albums ever: Meet Glen Campbell and Ghost on the Canvas. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what exactly is preproduction guitar setup? Were you responsible for the guitars used during those recording sessions?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Post by jay »

And yes those inlays were definatly influenced by his other guitars western script. I have pics of the J-200 in process Ill post another time.
So, say on the Gretsch (or gibson...it probably isnt much different) how many hours go into a job like that?
Do you have any idea where those guitars ended up? Or have you done it enough that it doesnt really matter.

I will tell you that it was evident to most the relationship between the guitars you did and Glens early Mosrite.

Gil Chavez

Post by Gil Chavez »

Gil Chavez wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm
Cowpoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 am Hi Gil
Thanks for posting. Those inlays look awesome! Glen's two last album's... would that be the last two album released while Glen was still active (Meet Glen Campbell and Ghost on the Canvas) or do you mean the I'll Be Me soundtrack or See You There?
That would be the 2 albums when he was active. I didn't get a credit on Meet Glen Campbell but did get one on Ghost on the Canvas and also the movie which was a total surprise to me.
And yes those inlays were definatly influenced by his other guitars western script. I have pics of the J-200 in process Ill post another time.

Gil Chavez

Post by Gil Chavez »

Cowpoke wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 am Hi Gil
Thanks for posting. Those inlays look awesome! Glen's two last album's... would that be the last two album released while Glen was still active (Meet Glen Campbell and Ghost on the Canvas) or do you mean the I'll Be Me soundtrack or See You There?
That would be the 2 albums when he was active. I didn't get a credit on Meet Glen Campbell but did get one on Ghost on the Canvas and also the movie which was a total surprise to me.

jay

Post by jay »

Gil...One more question...When Julian reached out to you, did Glen's Mosrite Richmond D-50e have any influence on how you designed those necks?

1234.jpg
1234.jpg (19.37 KiB) Viewed 9656 times

jay

Post by jay »

Gil...
Thanks man for jumping in here and sharing your experience with Glen. I have a couple of questions also...can you elaborate on what exactly a "preproduction guitar setup" is and why you did. I always thought that White Falcon looked iconic with the neck inlays...truly old school.

And is there anything you can share about what it was like in the studio with Glen? If my memory serves me correctly, Julian called in a lot of favors on Ghost, it appeared, because some big hitters showed up.

And lastly, can you share whom else you have done work for. It goes without saying that you would have to be accomplished for Julian to give you a buzz. He put a lot of effort and time into both of Glen's albums...It was clearly evident that he had a ton of respect and love for him because he left nothing in the bag in terms of production and finish.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences. I think it is as interesting as all get out to have the opportunity to understand what happens before and during recordings and production videos.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Gil

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Gil Chavez

Glen Campbell's Inlay Guitars

Post by Gil Chavez »

I had the pleasure of working on pre-production guitar setup for Glens last 2 albums. I did get credit in the last album and in the movie "Ill be me". The two guitars shown were special projects for videos where I did the fingerboard inlays for a 1956 Gibson J-200 and a late model Gretch White Falcon bass. I worked closely with producer Julian Raymond on all these projects and got to meet Glen.
Guitars , Glen J-200 3.jpg
Guitars , Glen J-200 3.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 9672 times
guitars, Glen Campbell Gretach bass.jpg
guitars, Glen Campbell Gretach bass.jpg (311.77 KiB) Viewed 9672 times