Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * LOST ALBUM?
dee2

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by dee2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:07 pm

Need a coaster?
(just kidding!) :)

This is awesome news for fans of Jimmy Webb!

From Jimmy Webb's FB page on Sept. 14, 2018
JIMMY WEBB_TEN EASY PIECES_BONUS SONGS.png
JIMMY WEBB_TEN EASY PIECES_BONUS SONGS.png (216.13 KiB) Viewed 259 times
We're excited to announce that today starts the pre-ordering for Jimmy's new Ten Easy Pieces Deluxe Edition. The new reissue was remastered with four bonus tracks which include "Up, Up and Away,"" I Was Too Busy Loving You," and additional demo takes of "Galveston" and "The Worst That Could Happen" plus new liner notes by Jimmy.

Pre-Order Jimmy Webb's Ten Easy Pieces on CD at and receive a free autographed coaster with your order. You can get more info and order it here (on Friday Music's website): :arrow: https://bit.ly/2CXaCMJ

This coaster, hand-signed by the legendary Jimmy Webb, is a Friday Music exclusive, and is only available when you pre-order the cd before October 19th 2018 -Jimmy Webb.
Details:

Jimmy Webb | Ten Easy Pieces - The Deluxe Edition CD (Original Recording Master/Limited Edition)
Regular price $19.98 + SHIPPING $5.00 USPS MEDIA MAIL / $5.10 USPS FIRST CLASS MAIL

THIS ITEM IS AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER WITH A PROJECTED RELEASE DATE OF OCTOBER 19, 2018.
GET A FREE AUTOGRAPHED COASTER WITH PRE-ORDER!!!

* REVISITING HIS SENSATIONAL 1996 CLASSIC - NOW WITH 4 UNRELEASED BONUSES
* NEW LINER NOTES FROM JIMMY WEBB
* INCLUDES LYRICS & STRIKING CD ARTWORK
* MASTERED IMPECCABLY BY LONG TIME FRIEND AND FAN JOE REAGOSO
* INCLUDES STELLAR RENDITIONS OF "GALVESTON", "WICHITA LINEMAN", "MacARTHUR
PARK" and "WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN"

Tracklist

Galveston
Highwayman
Wichita Lineman
The Moon's A Harsh Mistress
By The Time I Get To Phoenix
If These Walls Could Speak
Didn't We
Worst That Could Happen
All I Know
MacArthur Park
Galveston (Demo version)
Worst That Could Happen (Demo version)
Up, Up And Away (Demo Version)
I Was Too Busy Loving You (Demo Version)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:18 pm

More information about the Elvis Presley Comeback Special '68 and Jimmy Webb's MacArthur Park:

Inside Elvis Presley’s Legendary 1968 Comeback Special
By Kory Grow
RollingStone
August 16, 2017
(Director Steve Binder and his producer, Bones Howe) wanted (the Comeback Special) to end with Elvis singing a current hit, possibly “MacArthur Park,” though Presley’s manager, Colonel Tom Parker was still hoping for it to end with a Christmas song. It was an idea that they’d develop until almost the last minute.

They moved into the NBC studio on June 17th, rehearsing (Jerry Reed's) “Guitar Man,” and they began recording the choreographed “story” section of the special three days later with a strong selection of L.A. sidemen, including guitarist Mike Deasy and drummer Hal Blaine. It was also then that Binder decided they needed another song to end the show, leading him to beseech vocal arranger Earl Brown to write (overnight) what would become “If I Can Dream” ... as a replacement for Parker’s Christmas song.
SOURCE: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... al-192201/

Additionally: During the August 16th, 2018, 50th anniversary screening of the Elvis Comeback Special, Priscilla Presley and Steve Binder specifically addressed Colonel Parker's directive to include a Christmas song on the set list. They recalled that, in-person and in front of Binder, Parker told Elvis that a Christmas song must be / will be included. In reply, Elvis put his head down, not looking at Parker, and said, "yes, sir"....

According to Binder, shortly after Parker's directive, Elvis--using an expletive--privately told Binder that he did NOT want a Christmas song on the set list. Elvis made the final decision. No Christmas song landed on the set list, thereby (imo) allowing the Comeback Special to be dissociated for all time with a specific season or time of year, a small but significant aspect contributing to its year-round screenings.

Perhaps at that point, Binder (and possibly Elvis?) wanted to move forward with adding "MacArthur Park" as the ending song?

However, as Jimmy Webb fans now know, for Elvis to have performed "MacArthur Park", Col. Parker wanted ownership of the song's publishing rights. Webb turned down Parker's request/demand and, consequently, "MP" was not performed by Elvis on the special and Elvis never recorded/released it.

And yet...the King of Rock and Roll got his cake and ate it, too, when one considers his inclusion of a lyric from "MacArthur Park" DURING the Comeback Special (resulting in the MP / JW credit in the special's ending credits) AND, based on the release of the Comeback's Bloopers, Elvis also parodied abbreviated lyrics from "MacArthur Park" at least THREE other times during the Comeback Special's taping/rehearsals.

MacArthur Park - Jimmy Webb.jpg
MacArthur Park - Jimmy Webb.jpg (90.14 KiB) Viewed 429 times

c. 2018 D. Zink All Rights Reserved

dee2

Post by dee2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:32 pm

After attending a 50th Anniversary Screening of the Elvis Comeback Special '68 sponsored by Fathom Events last week, I did not expect to be posting about it on the Jimmy Webb topic here, but here I am posting about a cool Elvis Presley-Jimmy Webb connection. I am betting all the "Webb Heads" already know about it. This connection was new to me and may be new to other fans, too.
2018-08-02_ELVIS COMEBACK SPECIAL POSTER.jpg
2018-08-02_ELVIS COMEBACK SPECIAL POSTER.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 487 times
A few comments (my opinions only) first about the screening event (as well as some photos for the Elvis fans below). The Comeback was shown (digitally, I expect) using the original aspect ratio, resulting in a blurred projection on screen, a disappointing lack in technology for 2018.

The two big production numbers featuring Elvis do not hold up in 2018; both are campy at best and disrupt the flow and intimacy of the improvisational acoustic segment--one that remains classic ELVIS GOLD. Also golden is Elvis's still powerful and relevant performance of “If I Can Dream”, calling for unity and harmony "in a world that's troubled with pain", staged for closing the special:
c. 2013_D. Zink_JFK Performing Arts Center.jpg
Comeback Special_Classic Gold
c. 2013_D. Zink_JFK Performing Arts Center.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 447 times

The comeback of the Comeback Special began with a recent, taped interview / informal chat between Priscilla Presley and Steve Binder, the Comeback's producer/director, and was held backstage at the same NBC studio where the original show was filmed.

Priscilla feels that the Comeback Special still holds up these days musically and performance-wise including the stage outfits worn by Elvis; in particular, she mentioned the black leather suit still looks "cool".
Elvis Comeback Special.jpg
SOURCE: https://www.theo2.co.uk/news/detail/comeback-special-68
Elvis Comeback Special.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 486 times
She also explained something I had never liked about the Special: why Elvis "goofed off" (my words) during performing. He stops singing to make comical comments or he changes a word in a straight lyric to something comical, laughs with the audience, then picks up with the song again.

Priscilla appreciates that the director kept these informalities (not goofs, my word) in the show because "this was Elvis", his making fun of himself, having fun in general when jamming was the real Elvis. In fact, she shares, the main premise of the special--Elvis singing and playing with his band--was exactly what Elvis used to do when not working. Priscilla even recalls Elvis sitting around and jamming with a group of guys in his free time as far back as when Priscilla was in Germany with Elvis (serving in the U.S. Army, between 1958 and 1960).
GERMANY_ FEB 1959_ Elvis Presley salutes for portrait during tour of duty in Germany_Photo by Michael Ochs Archives Getty Images.jpg
Dee's uncle served with Elvis in Germany, and he has a similar photo of Elvis, only Elvis is posing near his Army jeep. c. GETTY IMAGES
GERMANY_ FEB 1959_ Elvis Presley salutes for portrait during tour of duty in Germany_Photo by Michael Ochs Archives Getty Images.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 486 times
I can better appreciate these comical moments now. In fact, when watching the Comeback after not seeing it for many years, I heard Elvis partially sing, partially say--after flubbing a line: "I don't think that I can take it...." When I heard this line, I thought, oh wow!, was Elvis actually singing a lyric from "MacArthur Park"? If so, had he been aware of what he said/sang and where that line came from?

When the ending credits rolled with the music credits, I read confirmed recognition of the line I had heard:

"MACARTHUR PARK"....JIMMY WEBB

An ASCAP-compliant credit for an 8-word lyric! Very, very cool.

After the Comeback Special ended, Bonus Bloopers from the making of the Comeback were shown. In three of the bloopers, Elvis paraphrased, "I don't think that I can take it / 'Cause it took so long to bake it / And I'll never have that recipe again."

Obviously, Elvis was very aware of the song. Of course. Everyone was aware of this song in 1968. :D

Related to Elvis and "MacArthur Park", Jimmy Webb recently posted on his facebook page about owning an unreleased recording of Elvis singing "MacArthur Park." (Could JW have been referring to the blooper edits? or the full-fledged song?) Due to contractual reasons, Elvis's recording of "MP" could not be released, Jimmy shared, and added, his copy is one of his treasures. (Note: Off of facebook, Jimmy has often identified the "contractual" stoplight to be Colonel Parker who wanted to own the publishing rights to all the songs recorded by Elvis.)

For Jimmy Webb fans, Elvis fans and MacArthur Park fans, I found the Bloopers Bonus on YouTube, and you can listen to all three "MP" mentions by The King of Rock and Roll here:

The lyric appears approximately at:
2:38
5:20
7:30

The photos below are for Elvis fans who were not able to attend a screening of the return of the Comeback Special. No Comeback posters were on display at the theater. No cardboard, stand-up Elvis Presleys were on display. Taking photos of this signage, located outside of Auditorium 7 at the theater, was the only "photo opp" for us Elvis fans: proof that "Elvis had been in the house".
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG (855.64 KiB) Viewed 487 times
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG (919.21 KiB) Viewed 487 times
________
c. 2018 D. Zink All Rights Reserved

dee2

Post by dee2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 pm

August 15, 2018

Happy Birthday, Jimmy Webb!

Portrait of Jimmy Webb_June 2015_c. D. Zink_GCF.jpg
Portrait of Jimmy Webb_June 2015_c. D. Zink_GCF.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 541 times

A tremendous article was published today by udiscovermusic in honor of Jimmy's birthday:
Jimmy Webb And The Great Americana Songbook
One of the world’s pre-eminent songwriters, Jimmy Webb can be said to have spearheaded an Americana equivalent of The Great American Songbook.

By Martin Chilton
It is fair to say that Americana, a melting pot of classic country, folk, bluegrass, Celtic music, Southern rock and Delta blues, has its own equivalent of The Great American Songbook – The Great Americana Songbook, if you will – and pre-eminent among the titan songwriters of that genre is (Jimmy) Webb.
Article with special audio links and a JW playlist of songs:

:arrow: https://tinyurl.com/yd7lpcq3

dee2

Post by dee2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Jimmy Webb_The Cake and The Rain_Audio_CD.jpg
Jimmy Webb_The Cake and The Rain_Audio_CD.jpg (19.42 KiB) Viewed 589 times

August 2018 - Jimmy Webb is happy to announce The Cake and the Rain is now available in paperback and as an audiobook – narrated by Jimmy himself! The new formats are available from these book retailers:

PAPERBACK:
Amazon.com | Barnes & Noble

AUDIOBOOK:
Apple iTunes (download) | Amazon.com (CD)

(Note: On amazon, the Audiobook is free with an Audible trial for a 30-day period.) ;)

TWO REVIEWS POSTED ON JIMMY'S WEBSITE:

“I love Jimmy Webb’s songs, always have. They are dazzling and form the soundtrack of ours lives, from “MacArthur Park” to “Wichita Lineman” and dozens of songs in between. Jimmy’s new book, “The Cake and the Rain,” is dazzling too. The life and times of this Oklahoma kid turned songwriter is told with the same tender, funny and often heartbreaking phrases and visions he works into his best songs. In Jimmy’s voice I hear the sound of the railroad train, the music of the birds, the secret music of love gone wrong and friendship gone right- and life pouring, burning, running through his fingertips and his powerful visions of flying all the way out and all the way back home. Beautiful book. Get it, you need it. ”
— Judy Colllins

“There are popular songs, and there are great songs, and they are not always the same. . . It’s the fact that people are still singing and still listening to the songs Jimmy Webb started writing 50 years ago that’s a defining difference.”
— Patt Morrison, The Los Angeles Times

dee2

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb - INFO FOR Seaudgive

Post by dee2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums, Seaudgive!
I am still searching for the article you are looking for.

Are you interested in this type of train tour because of the Jimmy Webb connection?
Or perhaps an interest in traveling by rail with musicians/songwriters in general?

1. This is one company (maybe the same one that Jimmy used?) that will be offering perhaps their last such trip this coming fall 2018:
:arrow: http://www.rootsontherails.com/upcoming ... -west-2018
and
:arrow: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rootsrails/

2. In this article on Forbes' website, other new trips by rail are described with very awesome photos.
A typical Roots on the Rails train trip is limited to about 50 passengers because of the number of sleeping accommodations aboard. Musicians play and jam while the train is rolling — on chartered or public trains — and give concerts for the passengers during stopovers at hotels and other venues.
:arrow: See: https://www.forbes.com/sites/garystolle ... 9f0652dba5

Music-themed train travel with artists such as Jimmie Dale Gilmore would be great fun!

3. For information about Jimmy Webb's events (all concerts at this time), visit:
https://www.jimmywebb.com/

Some of Jimmy's fans have asked him to repeat the cross-country (U.S.) trip by train in the past. With fan interest, perhaps he will arrange for a similar trip in the future. I doubt it, but one never knows.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 am

Yep that link is dead. But the original post is from 2010 so... Sadly enough it's not available on archives.org. But... welcome to the forums!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

Seaudgive

Post by Seaudgive » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:39 am

admin wrote:
Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:48 pm
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 07:37 pm:

Anyone interested in Jimmy Webb's songwriting craft may consider joining him and Jesse Winchester and some 70 other people on a Californian train ride from LA-Oakland in January 2011. Read about it at http://www.flyingunderradar.com/rails/FT11LO.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I've been on a few of those trips, very rewarding, as you connect with the guys in ways you wouldn't ordinarily do.

From yet another Dane, Jens.

-Jens Koch
Url is not working at my end

dee2

Post by dee2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Ohhh, okay Cowpoke. Now I understand that follow-up comment. I had taken it literally.
Thanks, you are right.
I wonder how many people in JW's audience understood it to be an insider joke?
It's possible that JW had introduced Matthews to the audience earlier in the show (or later).
Perhaps a forums member who attended the show could answer that question for us? Let's hear it from the Seattle fans!
And maybe I am the one who needs a small vacation!
Thanks again! Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:45 am

Dee it appears that the comment about Dave Matthews was a joke...
A few minutes later, a friend of mine was returning to his seat and leaned over to tell me he had just seen Matthews in Jazz Alley's bathroom. My first thought was, "Oh, [...]! I wonder if he heard—" then the penny dropped and I realized we'd all just witnessed an excellent inside joke among, if not friends, then certainly among colleagues

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...