Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Glen Campbell Song Deviations

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * LOST ALBUM?
dee2

Re: Glen Campbell Song Deviations

Post by dee2 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:08 pm

"Give Me Back That Old Familiar Feeling" - two versions (one with a new "feeling") by songwriter Bill C. Graham

Glen Campbell recorded and released Bill Graham's penned song, "Give Me Back That Old Familiar Feeling", on his 1973 album, 'I Knew Jesus (Before He Was a Star)', backed by original members of "the wrecking crew". From a backing perspective, the album was a "homecoming" for Glen. :)

A different version of this song was performed two years later on the 1975 BBC music show with Glen Campbell and Friends. Glen, Bill Graham and Carl Jackson sang a longer second verse that replaced this one:
My radio still plays the songs you like to hear I wish you were here oh I need you
I'll take the time and tune the station in real clear as if you were here oh I love you
According to Bill Graham, he re-wrote the last verse only after Glen had recorded and released the song.

Also, in the BBC televised version, another minor change was made but only to accommodate the show. Bill Graham explains: "We usually sang the chorus again at the end but we were doing a TV taping and we were running out of time." Bill shared this information as well the significant songwriting change in the comments section on this YouTube video of the BBC version:

What do you think of the verse change?

Below is the original version from Glen's '73 album:

dee2

Glen Campbell Song Deviations

Post by dee2 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:08 pm

"One Pair of Hands" - Actually, three pairs of hands with regard to the songwriters

Glen Campbell's 1970 "Oh Happy Day" album (referred to by at least one fan as Glen's "white album") includes the song "One Pair of Hands" written by "Mike Curtis and Barbarita Campbell", © BMG Rights Management US, LLC. The later writer is the late Billie Jean Nunley Campbell, Glen's second wife. Recently, she has been erroneously credited by a few people on social media as the sole songwriter.

In 2005 a third songwriter revised the lyrics. Gospel singer / songwriter Carroll Roberson added a verse to "One Pair of Hands" when he recorded it for his gospel album 'Carroll Roberson Sings Gospel'.

Glen's recorded version repeats a verse. Roberson replaced the repeated verse with an entirely new one. 

You can listen to Roberson's cover with the new verse below and also listen to Glen's original recording: