Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Setting the Record Straight: Glen Campbell on Paul Newman's "HUD" Score?

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * LOST ALBUM?
Cowpoke

Re: Setting the Record Straight: Glen Campbell on Paul Newman's "HUD" Score?

Post by Cowpoke » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:53 am

Glen and Jimmie Haskell go back to 1961, when Glen started doing session work for Ricky Nelson.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

dee2

Post by dee2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:22 am

Cowpoke, I had forgotten to include this possibly important fact that supports Glen on HUD's score: the early sixties Haskell-Campbell connection:

Jimmy Haskell was the session leader for the recording Glen is associated with on HUD's AFM contracts.
Session date: May 11, 1962
Paramount Studios

Haskell was the arranger and conductor for Glen's 1963 album, "Too Late To Worry-Too Blue To Cry".
Release date: April 1963
Capitol Records

Haskell also worked with Glen on the surf album, "John Severson Presents Sunset Surf" for which Haskell did the arrangements (and also wrote Goofy-Foot Glen for it!).
Release date: 1963
Capitol Records

Etc., etc.

How far back do Haskell and Campbell go? Before 1962?

From Jimmy Haskell's bio on Wikipedia:
"In addition to composing and arranging, Haskell would often act as conductor and selected the musicians used."

dee2

Post by dee2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks so much for your comments and questions, Cowpoke.
I should have been clearer in my post: I located a summary of the session contracts that listed the dates, leaders, instruments and musicians for the ensemble's sessions as well as for the simplified "theme" / score for HUD. Unfortunately, not the actual AFM contracts. Because I was only able to obtain a summary (quite by accident), I thought it best to hedge about Glen performing on the film's score heard at the beginning of the film. I would want to see the actual AFM Contracts.

The summary is simply titled "HUD". No song titles were included. The score is only 6 minutes total--the theme or "prelude" and then snippets heard during the film.

The master recordings for the score that Glen was identified with apparently included the following titles:

The film version of "Hud":
Prelude
Flower Bed
Quarantine Sign
Lonely Corrals
Finale
= about six minutes total

A soundtrack CD was released with the following "bonus" songs, in part or in whole, but excluding "Wabash Cannonball" heard playing from the truck's radio at the beginning of the movie. Other songs' snippets may be on the film's soundtrack, too, and not the CD.

These songs except for the trailer had been previously released independent of HUD and are only heard as short sound bytes "on" a radio, jukebox, etc. during the film:

Bonaparte’s Retreat (Pee Wee King)
One Dozen Roses (Roger Lewis, “Country” Joe Washburn, Dick Jurgens and Walter Donovan)
In the Sweet By-and-By (Joseph P. Webster and Sanford Fillmore Bennett)
Hud Trailer (William Kraft) - Kraft is listed as the composer. However, another source mentions "Bernstein's work for the trailer". The source is not clear about what is meant by "work". The trailer sounds very "Hollywood" to me and unlike the film's actual score. I embedded Paramount's trailer below.

I emailed the AFM Summary document to you earlier today (Sunday)--I would greatly appreciate your opinion of it! :)

Would Richard Price have had the AFM contracts for HUD in his database? Or, at least, the session contract for Glen's recording?

If not, would you know how to go about obtaining access to the contracts?

If or when Glen is confirmed to be on the HUD soundtrack as stated by the AFM contract summary, I feel this info would be a significant find for his legacy in session work. The score is beautiful. It is Elmer Bernstein's! The film itself is notable as one of the best American films in cinematic history. It commonly shows up on film critics' lists of top American films. If Glen's name is listed on the contract and he played the HUD session, then he scored big on this film score!

HUD'S TRAILER

D. Zink 2018 All Rights Reserved

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Dee, very interesting post! Thanks! You actually found an AFM contract for that session? I'm curious if it mentions song titles or something else to link it to the HUD score?

As far as hearing Glen... the solo guitar sounds not really like Glen. But then again Glen could play every style!

Thanks again, I love reading about stuff like this. :)

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

admin
Site Admin

Setting the Record Straight: Glen Campbell on Paul Newman's "HUD" Score?

Post by admin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:03 pm

HUD Movie Posters and Playing Card-c. 2018 GCF Custom.jpg
HUD Movie Posters and Playing Card-c. 2018 GCF Custom.jpg (189.73 KiB) Viewed 123 times

Setting the Record Straight: Is Glen Campbell playing on the soundtrack to Paul Newman's hit film "HUD"?

Let's take a look at the supporting facts:

HUD FACTS
1. HUD was released in the US in May 1963, and also in about a dozen other countries during '63-'64.
2. The film starred Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas and Brandon de Wilde.
3. It was a huge hit and received nominations for 7 Academy Awards; it won 3.
4. The movie's music was scored by Elmer Bernstein.
5. Bernstein's score was minimal, running about 6 minutes in total.
6. The score was recorded twice: once with a 12-piece ensemble (harp, saxes, celli, flute, etc.) and again with re-orchestration ("re-do") by Bob Bain.
7. Director Martin Ritt asked for the re-do because he wanted sparse, more intimate music for the film.
8. The re-do included: three guitars, piano, bass, one violin, and drums.
9. In addition to Bernstein's score, other music is on the film track such as a few bars of "Bonaparte's Retreat", a guitar instrumental played by Pee Wee King.

HUD SESSION FACTS - GUITARISTS - from a summary (only) of the AFM contracts
12-piece Ensemble
Recording dates: Oct. 2, 4 and 10, 1962
Session leaders: Elmer Bernstein and Jimmie Haskell
Guitars: Robert Bain, Howard M. Roberts, Alton Hendrickson & Charles Gonzales

Re-orchestration
Recording date: May 11, 1962
Session leader: Jimmie Haskell
Guitars: Noel Boggs, Glen Campbell & Billy Strange
(Note the recording date of this "re-do" session is months prior to--not after--the ensemble's recording session.)

THE MUSIC
Elmer Bernstein and his score for HUD received rave reviews. His followers particularly appreciate the film's instrumental "theme song" or prelude played during the opening credits and agree that this arrangement is the "sparse" arrangement, not the ensemble's.

The minimalist arrangement well suits the film's opening sequence as the viewer's eye is led from the stark, flat, and open landscape of "Vernal", Texas to a cattle town's main street with the appearance of a deserted ghost town.

THE QUESTIONS FOR GLEN CAMPBELL FANS
Is Glen Campbell playing lead guitar or is he accompanying the lead guitarist on the theme song?
The sound of the lead guitar is not typical of the early sixties' performances we have heard from Glen.
In terms of the month and date of the HUD recording session, Glen was definitely in the right time and place as an on-call studio musician. However, the film's classical score and arrangement are atypical in terms of Glen's session work.

((YOU CAN LISTEN TO THE THEME SONG BELOW.))
© 1962 Paramount Pictures Corporation, Salem Productions, Inc. & Dover Productions, Inc.
Uploaded to Glen Campbell Forums on Youtube

BONUS FEATURE
Check out this vintage newspaper article from May 17, 1962, reporting on the filming of Hud on location:
https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531 ... 5953/m1/1/

To see current (as of 2016) photos of the shooting locations, visit Grahm's Guide online at:
https://www.grahmsguide.com/hud-1963/

c. 2018 D. Zink All Rights Reserved